Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Day 5: Ellensburg, WA

Tuesday morning, we set out for Ellensburg. I went to Central Washington University there. We stopped at Multnomah Falls. I forgot my sweatshirt, so we didn't go to the top. It was really cold in the shade. We stopped again in The Dalles, Oregon. We went to a few junkyards there, but they were pretty bare. One junkyard had a pet sheep in it. It was very strange looking. It had crazy bug eyes. We crossed the bridge in Biggs, Oregon back into Washington. We stopped at a gas station in Toppenish, Washington on the Yakama Indian Reservation. It was a little ghetto, so we didn't spend much time there. One more stop on Manastash Ridge, where David got to chat up a Cumins Diesel man about trucks. In Ellensburg, we ate at Campus U-Totem. Best burgers and shakes in town. Then we went on campus to check out all the new buildings. The SURC replaced the SUB about 2 years ago. The new radio station is in that building and I knew Chris Hull still worked there. But, he was on sabbatical, so we talked to his sub for a while. I noticed a plaque on the wall with Tom Craven's name on it. He died in 2001 or 2002 in a forest fire. He was a DJ with me and a fire fighter. Oddly enough, my name was on his plaque for the time I Was DJ of the month in November 2000. Crazy! The lady we talked with said that KCWU was the state of the art for college stations. There isn't one like it in the state. I wish I took some more pictures. The website for the station is http://www.881theburg.com/. After walking around to all the building I used to go to, we returned to the car to find a parking ticket! What's the deal? I thought we got an hour free. What has happened to this world... Anyway, we stayed at the Ellensburg Inn. I wasn't too impressed with it. We had to change rooms because of the smoke smell. We tried to eat at the Yellow Church cafe for dinner, but we feel asleep and missed it. So we ate at Pearl's on Pearl. Downtown is very barren now. There was sing on Ace Hardware that said http://www.savedowntown.org/ to help restore that historic area. On the way out of town, we stopped at the Ellensburg junkyard. It was exactly what I thought a junkyard was. It was very unorganized and there were some yucky, biting bugs. We didn't find anything there.


I spent a lot of time in this small building.

Crazy house on Pearl Street.


Me on the Central sign.


David at the Eburg junkyard.

No comments: